Tonight was West Pennant Hills Toastmasters Club meeting 616. Tonight was a special night as we held our annual international speech and evaluation contests. This was also a very special night as we had a participant joining in the contest over Zoom!
International Speech Contest
The international speech contest was hosted by toastmaster Johnny, who explained to everyone the outline and structure of how the contest was run. Contestants were placed in order with Shirley, William, Chris and Leah speaking respectively.
Shirley’s speech was about her humourous experience of having to live on a farm-like estate, when her initial expectations was a mansion. Shirley’s speech taught us all a lesson in adapting and making the best out of an unexpected situation.
William’s speech was about curfew and his experience of it back in his native country with his family. William’s speech showed us that a curfew placed on his life was actually a blessing in disguise, as it allowed him to strengthen his connection to his father and bring this appreciation to his children.
Chris’s speech was about how the top 1% of individuals in the world do the opposite of what the other 99% do. Through a series of analogies and anecdotes based in finance, Chris’s speech highlighted the value of not following the crowd and to study what the minority do in the avenue of finance.
Leah’s speech was about inspiration and what it means to be inspirational. Leah highlighted this idea with her recount of her fit elderly neighbour who would run every day on a disciplined schedule. Through her speech, Leah encouraged the audience to always do our best as it can inspire others without us even knowing.
Congratulations to Toastmaster William for winning this contest with his speech ‘Curfew’.
The evaluation contest was also run by Johnny, and the evaluators participating in this contest were Mark, Jonathan and Molly.
Guest speaker Darrel Hoffman gave a humourous and convincing speech about the importance of food and how much of a role it plays in our everyday life.
Mark, Jonathan, and Molly were all given 5 minutes after the end of the speech to prepare a 3-minute evaluation of Darrel’s speech.
Molly was successful in delivering the winning evaluation and would be representing the West Pennant Hills Club at the next level.
The West Pennant Hills Toastmasters Club International Speeches and Evaluation contest were very enjoyable.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the contests – Shirley, William, Chris, Leah, Mark, Jonathan and Molly. The strong member participation was a reflection of the highly engaged membership!
Thank you to Chris, Johnny and Clare for organising the contests.
Thank you to the Chief Judge Ashwani and his team for giving up their time to make this a successful contest.
Written by Jonathan Lau